Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:34:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd@houston.rr.com (Steve P.)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two slices, copy one slice to another?

> Is there a trick to copying one working system from a slice to another
> slice?
>
> What I envision is two slices:
>     /dev/ad0s1 - one complete install
>     /dev/ad0s2  - copy of first install, via dump restore. (Is this
> where I screwed up?)

No, dump/restore is the thing to use.
Was the second slice /dev/ad0s2 made bootable - when you laid down
the partitions?

>     I tried this, but upon reboot, I could see both installs. I was given a
>     choice of the two, but F2 only booted the first install.
>     What is the trick?

The problem is probably that you copied it directly including /etc/fstab.
So, /etc/fstab still points to /dev/ad0s1a at the root (/) partition
and /dev/ad0s1b as swap, etc, etc    Those need to be manually edited
after the dump/restore to be /dev/ad0s2a, /dev/ad0s2b, etc respectively.

////jerry