Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2012 13:36:35 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Boot Loader Menu

On Oct 7, 2012, at 12:52 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2012, at 12:03 PM, Devin Teske wrote:
>=20
>> On Oct 7, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I disagree with your slight that those "things =85 bear no relation what=
soever to what was actually in the e-mail [you] replied to".
>>=20
>> It only *seem* as those are unrelated. I assure you, they are _very_ rel=
ated (and it's very much my mistake for not making it clear in my initial e=
-mail). I must apologize for this lack of clarity (I try to rectify it belo=
w).
>>=20
>>> Then maybe you should have focused on that in your original email.
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Yes, perhaps.
>>=20
>> Perhaps it would have been better to explain:
>>=20
>> Hey=85
>>=20
>> + iX and I are working on enhancing the boot loader menu to include a ne=
w submenu for selecting a Boot Environment (BE). I'm providing the menu inf=
rastructure, iX is providing the C code to populate that menu.
>=20
> Sounds like GRUB/Plymouth's model... sorta.
>=20
>> + We can't add this new menu item without pigeon-holing ourselves into a=
 position where no more menuitems can be added.
>=20
> Understood.
>=20

> - Have you considered high resolution screens/fonts; there are some alrea=
dy in FreeBSD hooked into syscons, but that's available later on at boot? I=
 mention this because there's a lot of wasted real estate on my 30" or 24" =
LCDs when I boot up FreeBSD.
>=20

Adding screen real-estate won't help. Menus (and any of the maximum 65535 s=
ubmenus) are always limited to 9 maximum menu items.

A significant overhaul of the Forth code would be required to accommodate m=
ore than 9 menu items per-menu.

Currently, if a 10th menuitem were rendered (assuming I lifted the boundary=
-checks), it would be rendered as such:

=85
8. Eighth Item
9. Ninth Item
1. Tenth item
=85

Worse, you press "8" to invoke the 8th item, "9" to invoke the 9th item, bu=
t ":" to invoke the 10th item (wait, what?)

Yes, ":" to invoke the 10th item. Because currently ASCII keycodes are used=
 to associate menu items. The next character after "9" is ":".

> I'd like to see sketches or a general idea of what you have in mind befor=
e investing too much time in a direction that doesn't bear a lot of fruit. =
I'm sure others here agree.
>=20

Sorry, but I'm the infrastructure guy. I provide the framework. I'll leave =
it to the community to decide how to use that framework. I'm leaving it in =
jpaetzel's, avg's, and mav's very capable hands to utilize my framework in =
whatever way they see fit.

They came to me with a need. I filled that need. If the community doesn't w=
ant it, I'll just dump it into DruidBSD and use it there until someone want=
s it.
--=20
DevinDe

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.