Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2002 13:42:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "M.T." <mbsd@pacbell.net>
To:        Adam Bender <abender@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing hard-drive space?

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Adam Bender wrote:

> I installed FreeBSD recently, and noticed something strange when I run df:
> (15:28:00) proteus:~/$ uname -a
> FreeBSD proteus.res.cmu.edu 4.6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE #0: Tue
> Sep 10 20:21:39 EDT 2002
> adam@rosewater.res.cmu.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/adam  i386
> (15:28:02) proteus:~/$ df -m
> Filesystem                     1M-blocks  Used Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad1s3a                        14332  2930 10254    22%    /
> procfs                                 0     0     0   100%    /proc
> /dev/ad0s1                         28609 12301 16307    43%    /mnt/msdos
> linprocfs                              0     0     0   100%
> /usr/compat/linux/proc
> /dev/ad1s1                         14638  8782  5856    60%    /mnt/msdos2
> linprocfs                              0     0     0   100%
> /usr/compat/linux/proc
> (15:28:06) proteus:~/$
>
> I have BSD installed on /dev/ad1s3a.  The minor questions I have are why
> does linprocfs show up twice, and why does my swap not show up?  But the

Linprocfs shows up twice because you have mounted it twice, probably
by mistake.  If it does not appear twice in /etc/fstab, I don't know
how it happened, but you can have any number of them just by running
"mount /usr/compat/linux/proc" lots of times.  Most people only mount
it once, though :-)

Swap space is not shown by "mount".  You can view your swap partitions
with "swapinfo" or "pstat -s".

> big question is where did the missing HD space on ad1s3a go?
> 14332M total - (2930 usedM + 10254M avail) = 1148M unaccounted for.  My
> swap (on /dev/ad1s2) is only 94M.  Anyone have any ideas?

That is the 8% reserved for root use (actually the space is reserved
so FFS can do a decent housekeeping job, but root can use it in an
emergency).

See <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#DISK-MORE-THAN-FULL>.

  $.02,
  /Mikko