Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 07:40:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: procmail problems.

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998, Norman C Rice wrote:

> > * ^From:.*hotmail.com
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > /dev/null
> >
> > But hotmail stuff still comes through. What do I need to do? Is it
> > * ^From.*@hotmail.com?

Is the email showing up in your procmail log? (ie, are you sure that
procmail is getting its chance to filter?).  It works fine for me.
You can either configure procmail as the local delivery agent in sendmail,
or use a .forward file to stuff it into

> :0:
> * ^From.*hotmail
> /dev/null

Actually, until the spammers learn better, you can block forged hotmail
without blocking the real hotmail with this rule:

# Forged mail from hotmail, wrong Received header
:0
* ^From:.*@hotmail.com
* !^Received:.*(from|by) [^     ]*hotmail.com
/dev/null

The [^ 	] is a space and a tab, ie, no whitespace allowed.

Of all the spam I've received, only one forged hotmail spam has also
forged a received header to bypass this rule, and one of my other rules
caught it.

A similar rule works for yahoomail, usanet, rocketmail, juno, etc. My spam
filter (a much-tuned version of junk.filter) catches better than 95% of
the spam, and the only stuff that gets incorrectly classified is people
that set up their home machines to send email with a
hotmail/juno/rocketmail/yahoomail/etc email address.