Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:20:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        tod@science-guy.npt.nuwc.navy.mil (Tod Luginbuhl)
Cc:        chnam@hanul.hangkong.ac.kr, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fortran compiler

> changho nam writes:
>  > Have anyone used a fortran compiler on FreeBSD ?
>  > Could you help me how to use a fortran compiler ?
>
> Wes Peters writes:
> >The GNU Fortran-77 compiler, g77, should configure and run on FreeBSD.
> >It should work with up-to-date versions of the gdb debugger as well.
> >The g77 distribution is essentially an add-on to gcc; you first extract
> >and configure gcc, then extract and add g77, then build the g77
> >compiler.  It's really not all that difficult.  Look on your favorite
> >gnu mirror; I usually go to ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/gnu these days.
>
> g77 is available in the ports section.
>
> Christoph Kukulie writes:
> >use f77 (the compiler driver).
> >
> >file: f.f
> >
> >       program main
> >       write(*,*) 'hello world'
> >       end
> >
> >f77 -o f f.f
> >
> >f77 -c f.f   produces  f.o
> >
> >f77 -o f f.o a.o b.o
> >
> >builds the executable out of several .o files.
> >
> >Learn to use make.
> >

> >For more information of the f77 compiler switches study the f2c man page.
> >

> f77 is a shell that uses f2c to translate fortran to c, and then uses

f77 isn't a shell. (once it has been though)
It's a program - the compiler driver: /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/f77/f77.c

> cc to compile.
>
> Now for some comments... if you want to use g77, I recommend you take
> the time to download from prep.ai.mit.edu (FSF site) or a mirror site
> the DOC file from the g77 distribution.  Hopefully you won't have to
> grab the entire thing.  The DOC file describes what g77 implements and
> does not implement. This is very important if you plan to do anything
> in fortran that is an extension to fortran 77.
>
> for f2c (i.e. /usr/bin/f77), go to netlib.com and grab the f2c
> documentation (f2c.ps) and read it.  It describes what f2c implements
> and does not implement.  Again, this is very important if you want to
> use any extensions to fortran 77.
>
> I have a big program I wrote that uses STRUCTURE and RECORD (data
> structures) --- data structures of this form are not supported by f2c

Too bad that the programmers didn't exercise themselves in discipline
and didn't adhere to standards.

> or g77.  At some point in the future they will appear in g77.  f2c
> supports POINTER statements, but g77 does not.  g77 will at some point
> in the future.  I am currently trying to get Absoft's fortran compiler

You aren't accidently trying to port CERNLIB programs? :-) They have
similar problems with non-f77isms.

> for Linux (commercial) to run under FreeBSD's Linux emulator for these
> reasons.  May be I'm crazy...but I haven't had time to finish by C port
> of my program.

Well, you may have luck with this since the linux emulation works
quite well.