Date:      Thu, 17 May 2018 09:40:01 +0800
From:      thor <thor@irk.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ISP Projects query

On 05/15/18 02:31, CeDeROM wrote:
> In case you need something small and versatile but simply working I
> would not recommend any kind of Linux mutant but use the MikroTik
> directly :-)
You could use OpenWRT on MikroTik hardware so you have an additional
variant of Linux mutant if the native firmware is somehow broken.

If you choose your hardware without this provision in mind there is a
big chance that some vulnerability is found forcing you to send your
hardware to garbage bin without any way to recover.

Also, I am somehow paranoid. And either I see the source of MicroTik
firmware or I don't trust it. There are lots of trapdoors found in most
kinds of equipment.

Of course, you may disregard all this if you have a service contract
whereby the vendor is obliged to arrive in 24 hours and repair your
equipment in next 24 hours and is contractually obliged to cover all
losses caused by exfiltration of your data.