Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:23:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Identd problems

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> It seems that I failed to actually have the executable for the identd
> program installed on the FreeBSD box, and that's probably what caused
> this problem.

yup -- identd isn't included with the system because it has crypto.

> But I don't understand why these messages seemed to just keep going and
> going.  Shouldn't the inetd daemon just give up after a short while if
> it doesn't find the necessary executable to invoke?

It should return ``connection refused'' to the offending
connection/program.  What did the log messages look like?

> Separately, can someone please just tell me how one goes about installing
> optional packages (e.g. the identd package) on FreeBSD after you have done
> the basic OS install already?  Sorry.  I know this is a dumb question, but
> sadly, I only bought the FreeBSD CD-ROM and not the book, and I don't really
> feel like spending an hour or more trying to scrounge this one bit of info
> from the www.freebsd.org web site.

No problem.  FreeBSd has two systems, depending on how much CPU and
flexibility you want.

1.  Packages:  Precompiled programs ready to run.  Just fetch and type
``pkg_add package.tgz'' as root to install.

2.  Ports: Sets of patches and instructions on how to compile and install
a program.  Justpull the directory for the port and type ``make'' from the
top level directory; the port will fetch teh source archive, patch,
configure, and compile for you.  Run ``make install'' as root to install.

Packages are nice since you don't have to compile, but not all programs
are available as packages due to practicality or licensing concerns.
Ports are updated faster and are smaller initially but need to have the
source archive and take time to compile.  I started out liking packages
but eventually switched to ports, since you can specify the port to stop
just before building so I can tweak the program's configuration to my
local needs before continuing with the build.  packages, you get what
someone else wanted you to get (but it does mesh with the system layout).