Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:11:01 +0000
From:      Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
To:        rapopp@eastcentral.edu,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: login.conf questions

Hellom

Reuben A. Popp wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have set up a few parameters in a few classes in login.conf and reran
> cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf, but some things don't seem to work.
>
> For example, I have the default class configured with idletime=20, but I have
> users able to login and stay in the system for much longer than the defined
> limit.  Usually, it's students here who were working on a project in vi and
> then closed their putty session or something.

You can "fix" that problem by using
ClientAliveInterval 60
ClientAliveCountMax 2

on /etc/ssh/sshd_config

This means clients will be disconnected after 2 tries, spaced by 60
seconds each.

> Am I doing something incorrectly or is there other parameters I need to
> specify?

I have tested this and many other login.conf options, such as idletime
and maximum session times, it seems that these values do nothing, and as
far back as I can remember (4.4-RELEASE), they never did. Either I've
been doing something wrong all this time, or they really don't work :)

A more direct answer to your problem (depending on what you're trying to
solve, if it's just hung users on the 'w' output, the above suggestion
will fix that) might be sysutils/idled, which is a daemon that does just
what you want.
> Thanks in advance (again)
> Reuben A. Popp

Regards,