Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 2002 22:04:48 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is a port skeleton considered a derivative work under the GPL?

I'm planning on making a port skeleton for a GPL'd program.  I can't,
though, figure out if I have to GPL the port skeleton or not.  If the
skeleton is just the basic wrapper Makefile and uses the entire contents
of the original tarball verbatim, the skeleton is the equivalent of an
external start-up script and thus outside the scope of the original
license, right?  What if I need to include patches or replace the
original Makefiles to get a clean build and install?  Do those patches
and replacements have to be GPL'd?  I've read the GPL, and all I gained
is a state of confusion.  IANAL, I guess.