Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 1997 22:18:36 +0000
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@olinet.isf.kiev.ua>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xperfmon++ cannot perform realloc

John Fieber wrote:

> [This should have been directed to questions@freebsd.org.]
>
> On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Claudio Eichenberger wrote:
>
> > I use FreeBSD 2.2.1
> >
> > The tool xpermon++ does only run for a few seconds, i.e. it displays on
> > the screen but for just a few seconds. Then, apparantly it
> > tries to make a realloc which cannot be executed.
> >
> > alpha# xperfmon++
> > Error: Cannot perform realloc
> > alpha#
>
> What version of XFree86 are you using?  There is a known
> interaction between FreeBSD 2.2 (and later) and XFree86 3.3 that
> can generate this error.  However, I vaguely recall getting this
> error from xperfmon++ with XFree86 3.2...
>
> ..anyway, the message comes from libXt and is caused by incorrect
> assumptions about what realloc() returns when given a size of
> zero.  phk@freebsd.org can probably explain the details if you
> want them.  The problem has been resolved in FreeBSD-current, but
> for 2.2.x, you have to re-build your libc with the
> src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c from -current.  A slightly easier
> stopgap measure is to link affected programs with the gnumalloc
> library (in /usr/lib/compat).
>
> -john

Dear Sir,

Excuse me this stupid question, but where can I find this file
(src/leb/libc/stdlib/malloc.c from -current to rebuild a libc) without
having to d/l all of the FreeBSD-3.0 tree? (I would like to install
XFree86-3.3 with my 2.2.2-RELEASE, and preferably without a problems
with compilation)

Thanks in advance.

Vladimir