Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 1995 16:23:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@cslab.cs.vt.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Changes for 2.1

I seem to remember some traffic on the -hackers list of late pertaining
to changes being made in 2.1 that will render certain things from 2.0
invalid, obsolete, etc..  Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention to
them, but now need to know what (if anything) will be different.  Of
course, I mean "major" differences, not all the hundreds (thousands?)
of bug fixes and the like.

The reason I ask is that the CS department here at Va. Tech is going to
require incoming CS freshman to buy a PC with FreeBSD, and one of my
jobs is to create the clone drive.  I'd like to wait for 2.1 if
possible, and if there are going to be major differences, that would be
one more good reason to do so.

I understand all the core team members are awfully busy with 2.1, but I
did poke around the web server on www.freebsd.org, looking also at the
mail and usenet archives, so I would appreciate a reply, no matter how
brief.  I don't need to know specifics, just a short summary would do.
I'm sure there are others who would be interested in this information as
well.  Of course, if there is a paper somewhere or something that
documents this, a pointer to it would be sufficient!

Thanks!

--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@vt.edu