Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 1996 07:15:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        bugni@advmarine.com (Paul Bugni)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Embedding

> I'm currently gathering information about embedable
> operating systems to possibly use for a marine
> navigation/charting system.
>
> A friend has turned me on to FreeBSD, and I'm wondering if
> anyone has experience in embedding this OS, and in working
> with the Mach lites extension.
>
> QNX or OS9 seem to offer most of what I need, but the
> light weight thread possibilities as well as the
> avialiable tools make FreeBSD a potentially more
> attractive choice.

We had an "embedded" 386bsd a few years back, controlling a stepper
motor driven throttle, fuel flow, and fan speed for a combustion
experiment.  This control was running outside the kernel.  You should
have some way to measure worse case jitter since it is hard to find
everywhere interrupts are disabled.  Yes, it was a hack but it
worked well.

What are your needs for disk and memory footprint, device support,
and response?

If you are thinking of using the real time mach in a FreeBSD environment
then you'll want to hook up with the mach and mach-rt newsgroups.  One
warning - you'll definitely be in a small corner of the FreeBSD world.

--

Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936