Date:      Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:13:02 +0300
From:      Ivailo Tanusheff <i.tanusheff@procreditbank.bg>
To:        "Stephan Weaver" <stephanweaver@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Networking with FreeBSD

You can use ipf or ipfw as firewall to create a set of rules, allowind and
denying access to different resources from/to different network. Also you
can use ipnat to make NAT translation if needed.
Personally I'd advice you to use ipf as packet filter, ipfw as traffic
shaper and ipnat for NAT.

Hope this will help you, there are tons of topics and howto's about using
ipf, ipfw and ipnat :)

Ivailo Tanusheff
Senior System administrator
ProCredit Bank (Bulgaria) AD

tel. +359 2 921 7161
fax +359 2 921 7110
http://www.procreditbank.bg

Disclaimer: The information contained in this message is intended solely
for the use of individual or entity to whom it is addressed and other
authorized to receive it. It may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any
action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify us immediately by responding to this email and then delete
it from your system. ProCredit Bank is neither liable for the proper and
complete transmission of the information contained in this message nor for
any delay in its receipt.

"Stephan Weaver" <stephanweaver@hotmail.com>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
08/02/2005 07:26 PM

freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
cc

Subject
Networking with FreeBSD

Hello Everyone.

We are going to be connecting our Stores to our Main Head Office Via
Fiber.
We want to separate our Internal Lan from the store computers.
So we have decided to separate them by networks [ip addressing] because of

security.

Head Office
I have 3 Servers in my LAN. And 4 Networks in Total inside of out Head
Office.
10.10.10.1 - Pixel Replication Server
192.168.1.1 - Web Based Server [Delivery Server]
192.168.100.1 - File Server
Including Internet Users.
192.168.0.1-254 [ Lan ].

The store computers that need to access specific servers, are only on that

network.
For example.
Store 1, Computer 1 Needs to Replicate [he will have an ip of
10.10.10.105]
Store 1, Computer 2 [The Delivery Pc]. he will have an ip of 192.168.1.105
Store 1, Computer 3 Will access the File Server by having an ip of
192.168.100.105.

Now the Risk involved with this is we have no Real Security, For Example.
A Malicious user can easily change his ip address to 192.168.0.105 For
Example and Get on our Head Office Internal Network. Which We don't Want.

So i would like to Setup, Install And Configure a FreeBSD Based Firewall,
that will have 4 Network Cards, and will be placed between Our Head Office

Switch, and out Fibre Switch [Wan].

But AFAIK, By Placing all these network cards in the Same Machine, FreeBSD

Will Bridge All Those Networks.
How Can i keep the networks Separate, and Secure the Servers by
Firewalling
by ip addressing?

I would appreciate Advice / Suggestions / Anything That will give me a
better clue on how to secure my network.

Yours Sincerely,
Stephan Weaver