Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 22:23:35 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar gz

On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 21:41 +0200, Eric Rapilly wrote:
> My problem is that i'have got a package like i18n-fr.tar.gz, i.e a
> package for french language. I believe Ill have to compile it. What
> are the step to be followed?

It's a tarball. You first need to extract the archive.
http://www.freebsddiary.org/untar.php

At least one of the extracted files likely is a README file, you can
open it with an editor. Usually this or another file will tell you what
to do. Perhaps you need to compile it, perhaps you only has to move it
to a directory.