Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:22:57 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Anton Karpov" <Toxa@cterra.ru>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: can't boot new kernel

On Monday 01 March 2004 07:49, Anton Karpov wrote:
> This is a common question, maybe not suitable for this maillist, but I
> would like to hear any ideas how to work it out.
> Let suppose I build new world and kernel, reboot my current box, and new
> kernel fails to boot (actually it hangs while detecting ata). So I should
> to go into load prompt  and type 'boot /boot/kernel.bak/kernel', whouldn't
> I? Ok, I try to boot and old kernel but now it fails too (maybe because of
> new world?). So now I'm without any working kernel. The only way I see to
> solve this trouble is to compile a sutable kernel on another machine, boot
> with installation/recovery cd, escape to recovery shell, mount root
> partition and replace /boot/kernel/ with another one? Or does load prompt
> can offer me any builtin feature to avoid using recovery live cd (cuz i
> haven't neither such cd, nor another bsd box actually :)

The point to rebooting into your new kernel after an upgrade is to allow you
to back out if the kernel is hosed. ie if you boot your new kernel and it
fails you can roll back to the old kernel. If the new kernel works you can
then attempt installworld and run that.

Unfortunately if installworld hosed your machine you are in for a tough time
depending on badly it screwed things up :( What happens when you boot with
your old kernel into the new world?

If you have some semi-recent install media you can probably fix it by booting
single user with the old kernel and mounting the CDROM, then unpacking the
bin dist over your system. That presumes you can actually mount things with
your kernel/userland combo which may or may not be true..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5