Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:47:07 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Walter Brameld <brameld@twave.net>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: C++ IDE

Walter Brameld wrote:

> By the way, in reference to "Code Crusader", I could not get it to
> install from the ports collection. Burke was kind enough to supply me
> with his solution and it worked perfectly. I feel this is something
> worth posting to the mail board once again.

I thought I had a port install of Code Crusader but I can't find jcc
anywhere. I have yet to see documentation on what I really run to
start it. I don't know at this point if the "make install"
accomplished anything.

Kdevelop, on the other hand, installs into KDE and adds hooks such
that it is available from KDE's startup toolbar. It also has access to
source code and tutorials from the menu. Code-Forge seems to run ok
but ddd and gdb are sort of brain-dead when it comes to stepping
through source code. You click step or next and it frequently seems to
step a machine instruction, which is something beyond memory with MS's
debugger. It did catch a signal and left me on the source line that
caused the signal. That little popup made up for most of the rougher,
less developed features. Visual Debugger would have stopped the
debugger and informed me of the error and left it to me to find out
where. I also get far to many variables that I can't display for one
reason or another.

From this point it looks like I have to decide which feature isn't
important and use the environment that has the features I need most.

Kent

> Subject: Re: C++ IDE
> Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 09:34:35 -0600
> From: "Burke Gallagher" <burke@gallagher.chicago.il.us>
>
> The Code Crusader Home page http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/jcc/
>
> download the sources from ftp.its.caltech.edu /pub/jafl/programs/jcc/
> you need code_crusader, JX, JTooolBar, and JTree
>
> untar the source files into /usr/local (or somewhere else convient)
> cd /usr/local/JX-1.5.3
> JX_INSTALL_ROOT=/usr/local/bin;  export JX_INSTALL_ROOT
> ln  -s  /usr/X11R6/include/X11  /usr/include/X11
> ln  -s  /usr/local/man                  /usr/man
> gmake freebsd3.x
>
> good luck this is my favorite unix development system.,
> burke
>
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Alexey Koptsevich wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > There is rather nice IDE -- code_crusader-2.1.4 (in ports). It
> includes
> > > medic, the frontend to gdb. Installs after some efforts.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Alexey
> > >
> > Could you tell me what the efforts were? I tried an install but hit
> > some errors in the Makefile for programs/code_crusader, and jcc did
> > not install. I'm not savvy enough to fix it myself so help would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> >  --  Walter
>
> --
> Walter Brameld
>
> in·tel·lec·tu·al
> n. Someone who has been educated past his/her level of intelligence.
> Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com
http://daily.daemonnews.org/