Date:      Mon, 01 Apr 2013 14:05:44 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a proposal for the FAQ

On 01/04/2013 06:29, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Over the past several months I have been working on a project called
>> ThwackAFAQ.  For those who don't know this project has been to review,
>> edit, and rewrite the FAQ to be relevant to the modern day.
>> I've removed references to hardware that hasn't been sold in over 10
>> years or to software features that reached their EoL in FreeBSD 2.x.
>> At this date I feel the project has reached a level of maturity such
>> that it makes sense to write this email:
>>
>> I propose that we merge the handbook into the FAQ.
>>
>> While they both cover the same material the handbook source is over
>> 83892 lines of XML while the FAQ is now at a measly 8242 lines.
>> Further the FAQ is in bite sized chunks while the FAQ requires lots of
>> tedious reading.  Translators currently have issues keeping up with
>> the pace of changes in both books, and must translate the same basic
>> content twice.  If only we could have one clear and canonical source
>> for translators to work with.
>>
>> Sure there are some topics not covered in the same depth in the FAQ
>> but many Linux distributions solve this in a very nice way: distribute
>> the details and extraneous items to bloggers and tip writers.  This
>> releases us, the doc team, from all the extra work of writing and fact
>> checking things that will no longer be true in the next version of
>> FreeBSD.  Not only that but it even generates more content for the
>> front page where we publish articles written about the operating
>> system.
>>
>> Over the next few weeks (as soon as the doc slush ends) I intend to
>> move the last few remaining portions of the handbook into the FAQ and
>> commit the removal of the handbook once and for all.
>>
>> --
>> Eitan Adler
>>

> Since a work is continuing on documentation , I want to make a more , let's
> say , radical or encompassing steps as follows :
>
> The Handbook and the other documents is in another directory with respect
> to head in SVN .
>
> Many times , I have expressed the idea that this is causing much trouble
> because the Handbook is maintained for three releases with a lot of IF
> statements about releases . At present , there is NO any Handbook for the
> HEAD ( or Current ) . To make or suggest any idea about the Handbook is
> very difficult because it requires knowledge of at least four releases . A
> person starting from Version 9.0 may  not have much idea about previous
> releases . Therefore , it is very likely that there will not be much
> suggestions to improve .
>
> Another problem is manual pages : These are in ROFF , but the other
> documents are in , now , XML .
>
> I searched to find a ROFF to XML converter , but I could not find one .
>
> My opinion is to convert ALL of them to HTML and disperse the Handbook
> [...]

This idea has some merit, but I don't think converting everything to
HTML is the best choice. It's a fluid standard, and, the assertions of
web designers not withstanding, it's NOT a programming language and
therefore unable to cope with all eventualities. And that's before HTML5
becomes mainstream (any news on the lynx embedded video update?)

Might I suggest using a proper language that everyone knows? The choice
is obviously 'C'. I did think of C++, but it's too obfuscated if used
incorrectly whereas C is explicit. Better yet, mandate K+R 'C' to avoid
possible cross-platform compatibility problems (is gc++ completely
compatible with CLANG?)

If the actual content was placed a string constants in the data segment
it would be easy enough to have platform-specific code output it in the
correct form - man pages, HTML or whatever you like - including in new
standards not yet dreamt up - by simply writing a new output function,
and conditionals become a breeze. And the best bit is you could put a
rudimentary language translation system layer between the data and the
output function, getting rid of the translation problem at the same
time. (Okay, I realise machine translation isn't the whole answer, but
users could select the latest machine translation or the
human-translated version if they didn't mind it being a bit out-of-date).

Regards, Frank.