Date:      Tue, 2 Aug 2016 22:41:17 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gerrit_K=FChn?= <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS on 10G interfaces still painfully slow

Alan Somers wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 2:49 AM, Gerrit K=FChn <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de> wr=
ote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I already reported this issue here a year ago and unfortunately was not
>> able to fix it back then. Now I had another run at it, using two recent
>> 10.3-machines with a direct 10G link. I still see nfs is painfully
>> slow (around 20-80MB/s). I tried both nfsv3 and nfsv4, with almost the s=
ame
>> results. Everything I tried so far (mtu size, wcommitsize, readahead...)
>> only makes things worse or at least not much better.
>> Moving data in different ways (scp, ggate) is much faster, so plain
>> network speed should not be an issue.
>>
>> Is there anyone around here who can confirm that nfs can go faster over
>> 10G links?
>> Any hints for further tuning/debugging are greatly appreciated.

I can't help much, but a couple of things you can try:
- Disable TSO
- Turn off/reduce interrupt moderation on the net interface. (NFS perf.
  depends on response time and anything that delays interrupt servicing
  will slow it down.)

Good luck with it, rick

>> cu
>>   Gerrit
>

>I can get 1GB/s over NFS on a 10G link, so it's not always slow.
>There's probably something about your setup that's slowing it down.
<What is your NFS client?  If Linux, make sure that you're using the
>"async" mount option instead of "sync".  What benchmark are you using
<to measure that speed?  Did you remember to start lockd and statd?  If