Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 00:29:22 -0700
From:      Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   secure dynamic DNS

Hi there,

I had to rebuild my gateway router which is now an ubuntu server.  I am
trying to figure out why secure dynamic DNS is not working all that
well.  Nothing was changed on the DNS server side, but i will include
the configuration just in case.  Please help me figure out what I have
misconfigured.

I am using dhclient to send updates to my DNS server.  The error message
says the add 'forward map' is being sent to host.domain.com local IP
address and not the address of the remove DNS server.

And here is the dhclient error:

--- snip ---

dhclient: Unable to add forward map from host.domain.com. to
<hosts's_local_IP_address>: timed out

--- snip ----

I dont see any message showing up in the logs on the DNS server side.

Here is the dhclient process running with all the switches:

"dhclient3 -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth1.pid -lf
/var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.eth1.leases eth1"

Here I provide the /etc/dhpc3/dhclient.conf configuration:

--- snip ---
send fqdn.fqdn "host.domain.com.";
send fqdn.encoded on;
send fqdn.server-update off;

key host.domain.com {
   algorithm HMAC-MD5;
   secret "<its_secret>"
};

zone domain.com {
    key "host.domain.com";
}

prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;

---- snip ----

and from the /etc/namedb/named.conf file on DNS server side:

---- snip ---

key host.domain.com {
   algorithm HMAC-MD5;
   secret "its_secret";