Date:      Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:57:45 -0800
From:      underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is FreeBSD going?

"M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:

> Whatever.  I've consulted lawyers on this who assure me that it is
> legal.  You've admitted to not knowing US Copyright law and are aguing
> emotion, which is why I didn't reply to the rest of your message.

You obviously don't want to discuss this, and it's easy to guess the
real reasons.  Your main problem here, and apparently that of your
lawyers, is that you don't understand what the issues are to which
copyright law is to be applied.  The legality of collective copyrights
was not my issue.  Your other problem is putting words in people's
mouth; I would never admit to know not knowing US copyright law
because I know it quite well enough to argue FreeBSD's IP issues with
anybody.  If I don't write with the same seeming authority as you,
that's more your problem than mine.

I expected my comments to be ignored or brushed off, but I didn't
expect to be brushed off in your rude and insulting manner.  Maybe
when I've recovered, and if I haven't made my move to NetBSD yet, I'll
write up a more complete explanation of FreeBSD's IP problems instead
of trying to deal with the likes of you in a conversation.

We can all be glad that it hasn't mattered and might never matter that
the FreeBSD IP situation is so shabby, I suppose because it sends the
message that it's all essentially a Gentlemen's Agreement, with only a
few violators who are more-or-less tolerated.