Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 23:45:56 -0500
From:      David Ward <David@intelemedia.com>
To:        'Greg Lehey' <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   RE: 3c509 vs. DHCP

Wow Greg, thanks for taking the time to help a newbie who is obviously
having trouble with the apples and oranges of FreeBSD..let me tell ya,
your book beats hell out of any other tech books I've read.

>On Tuesday,  4 April 2000 at 16:43:38 -0500, David Ward wrote:
>> I'm guessing that to have DHCP enabled on a freeBSD 3.4 release
>> machine, with a WinNT 4.0 Server acting as the DHCP server that I
>> will need to have SAMBA installed and configured first??

>No.
phew...thank god for small amounts of happiness :)

>> Currently I'm just looking at the 'Scanning for DHCP Servers...'
>> dialog box...what fun what fun...

>Dialogue box?
Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it, but this is during the initial OS
install/configuration from /stand/sysinstall..and problems with DHCP clients
isn't covered in your book..  :(  when I configure the N.I.C.
I'm telling it to use DHCP, and it automatically starts a search for a
DHCP server..(I take it I should just skip the N.I.C. config 'till I get
the OS up and running?)

>> unfortunately Greg's book only covers hang's on boot with the 509,

>Well, no, it also discusees devices at IRQ 9 not working and missing
>SCSI boards on HP's Netserver, and a few other things.  But none are
>relevant.

>> and dealing with an NT network isn't covered at all to any extent
>> that found as of yet..

>No, we only handle IP networks.
that's what I was afraid of..for an NT guy who's last experience with
UN*X was a 1 semester course 5 yrs ago, that's going to make
integrating FreeBSD into my existing network a "challenge" to say the
least

>So what does dhclient say?
to be honest, I haven't gotten that far..I'm going to try ignoring the
config of the N.I.C. until I can get the OS up and running, then I'll see
if I can configure it..unless you have another suggestion? (please please
please say yes.. :)