Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:36:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        "Robert F. Ross" <rross@recourse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: green vs. native threads

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Robert F. Ross wrote:

> On the suggestion from people here about using native threads instead of
> green threads I tried running the VM with -native. I never managed to get
> select() or poll() behaving right through JNI with green threads. With
> native threads, they appear to behave exactly as they should. The problem
> is, with native threads my java process eats 100% CPU. When I try to
> attach with gdb to see where this is happening, it appears to always
> attach with a backtrace of:

> Has anyone seen either of these issues or have any idea what may be
> causing them?

Is this on -stable? I've seen thread-enabled applications consume large
amounts of CPU inside the libc_r. My guess was that the "blocking" calls
like select are being faked by the thread library - which is fine if
they've got other work to do - but if everything is waiting on a
blocking call the whole caboodle goes into a busy loop waiting on one of
the events you're "blocking" on.

(Compiling apache with threading on -stable exhibited this behaviour.)

I've no idea how or at what level the jvm interacts with the native
threading system - haven't looked, don't particularly want to.

jan

...You're visualising the _duck_ taped over my _mouth_..?