Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:31:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brett Gray <beatteam@austasia.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: technical support question...

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Brett Gray wrote:

> I recently set up a freeBSD based system with Sendmail for internetmail.
>
> The system is performing well and delivering and receiveing mail however
> Iand am now receieving the following 2 messages which I cannot diagnose.
>
> The first is:
>
> Aug  6 09:14:34 gateway routed[64]: punt RTM_LOSING without gateway
> Aug  6 09:15:35 gateway routed[64]: punt RTM_LOSING without gateway
> Aug  6 09:16:06 gateway last message repeated 2 times
> Aug  6 09:18:57 gateway last message repeated 3 times

This is routed at work removing some dead routes.  Unless you need it, you
can probably disable routed in /etc/{rc.conf | sysconfig} and go with
static routes, if these are really bothering you.

> The other message is:
>
> Aug  1 15:51:43 gateway /kernel: arp: 192.168.1.113 moved from
> 00:40:c7:64:04:bf
>  to 00:00:01:18:71:41
>
> This last message has only occured since one person has had a new Laptop
> (obviously with a different network card in it) installed and configured
> as the previous machines IP address.  The original PC is also still used
> (and configured) with the same IP address, however the two machines are
> never on the network at the same time.

That's OK, but you can't turn off the message.  I'd suggest finding a
permanent IP for your laptop user if this message bothering you.

Your computer is just being vigilant, like a good gateway should be :)

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo