Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:40:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <francisco@natserv.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD documentation (was: OS/2 users going to FreeBSD?)

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Now that I have a bit more knowledge I lack the time, and still don't
> know how to contribute to the doc project. In particular it should be
> easy to find the location of the existing documents, how changes
> should be submited (including an example on using diff) and to who
> they should be submited. A template SGML file would also be very
> helpful (if SGML is still been used)

I think the question of where to find the location of existing
documents could be generalized to "where to find FreeBSD
sources".

DocBook, the preferred SGML instance for document submissions, is
quite fully documented.  Our god, John Fieber, has a nice page
with all kinds of useful links --
http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber/docbook/

Possible complaints are:

1.  DocBook isn't as simple and stupid as LinuxDoc.  It's a some
more work to learn.

2.  I lied.  DocBook isn't fully documented, but when the people
being paid to document it finish, it will be.  :)

However, once you've learned it, you can use it for more than
just handbook submissions.  Eg. A DocBook document can be
converted into a manpge.

*** On the topic, I wish I could find a DocBook->WinHelp
converter...  DocBook->man->WinHelp is course...

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk