Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:42:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Les Biffle <les@safety.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AST Manhattan and FreeBSD 3.x

Hi all,

I have an AST Manhattan with embedded Symbios 53C810 fast narrow SCSI
controllers and a pair of 2GB Seagates, all stock from AST.  I can load
FreeBSD 2.2.8 without problem, but 3.1 and 3.2 seem unable to write to
the drives after the files systems are built, but before they are
loaded.  I get no errors during the newfs steps, or during an fsck after
the newfs is done, but when the install program begins "extracting /bin"
from the SCSI CD onto the drives, I get a write failure on 3.1 (wrote -1
bytes of 1024) and a page fault panic in 3.2.  At least the 3.1 lets me
keep playing ;-)  The 3.2 immediately (and unsuccessfully) tries to sync
the disks and finally reboots.  Perhaps a CAM issue?

For those that aren't familiar with the Manhattan, it's an EISA machine
with 2 PCI slots and 6 EISA/ISA slots.  The 53C810's are in the PCI
universe.  The network card is a 3COM 3C579-TP EISA.  Everything works
just dandy with 2.2.8, but I would prefer to be in an elf world.

Thanks in advance,

-Les

--
Les Biffle            Community Service...  Just Say NO!
(480) 585-4099    les@safety.net  http://www.les.safety.net/