Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:15:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Gary Roberts <garyr@amor.wcs.uq.edu.au>
To:        aaron@sonntag.org (Aaron Sonntag)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Desktop BSD (was Re: StarOffice 5 on a SMP system..... or Applixware)

Aaron Sonntag writes :-

> I have just got to say it... the implementation of star office as a standard
> freebsd port is very very important...
> In the last two weeks alone three companies have asked me about running bsd
> as a desktop system... and this decision was going to be based up on whether
> start office could be easily implemented...
> The workstation market can not be ignored...

Everyone on this list knows how good FreeBSD is for the server market.
Probably just as many would love it to become popular and usable as a
desktop OS.  Through the ports and packages systems, many useful apps
are currently available and easy to install.  Commercial apps are slowly
becoming available.

The key issue is that to *individually* road test all the apps one
would like is quite a daunting task.  From time to time, discussions do
start which give people a good overview of strengths and weaknesses of
particular products.  Somebody has always had good or bad experiences
and has spent time and effort in `evaluating' a particular product.

How do we best `record for posterity' the work spent in determining if
a particular app is suitable for the intended task?  How can individuals
best share (hopefully in an objective fashion) the results of their
`evaluation' labour?  Maybe something already exists?

Anything that helps a `convert' to best replace the lost app functionality
when switching from MS has got to be a `good thing' (TM).

--
Gary Roberts