Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:02:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld-elf.so.1 not found

> After trying to install the SKIP port and rebooting I got the message:
>
> "ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found"
>
> upon startup of the machine, and after that comes a bunch of
>
> Apr xx xx:xx:xx init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyvx,
> sleeping 30 secs

getty is dynamically linked.  When the runtime shared object loader, aka
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1, can't be found none of your dynamically linked
binaries are going to work.  In this case, the system is continuously
trying to establish getty on your virtual consoles and failing till it
eventually says enough is enough, I'll try again in a bit ;).

> What can I do to fix this problem. All the ports up to this one have
> installed just fine,
> and I have downloaded an installed the 3.1R -> 3.1S patch.

Reinstall /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1.  I suggest booting into single user
mode and installing it from the cdrom or recompiling and installing it.
You might want to try recompiling and installing since it has changed from
3.1-RELEASE in the current 3.1-STABLE.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237