Date:      Tue, 21 May 2002 12:43:47 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Circular dependency: gal vs. glade

Joe Clarke wrote:

>But there is no cycle.  You just have some missing dependencies.  If all
>the GNOME bits are kept up-to-date, you shouldn't be seeing this problem.
>As I said in my PR reply to you earlier, something is being done so that a
>port can check the version of each of its package dependencies.  sobomax
>is working on this, and has enhanced some of the pkg tools in -CURRENT.
>Perhaps he can comment on this further.

Whatever...so I used the word "circular" inappropriately.

The problem is that if you do portinstall from nothing (or incompletely
deinstalled ports), gal will fail due to libglade missing.  The way that
portinstall works it tries to build gal but since gal does not include
libglade as a LIB_DEPENDS, then it fails in the middle of the configure
script.  gtkhtml suffers from exactly the same problem.

However you say it, it is an error for gal not to include libglade as a
dependency.

/Joe