Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:37:31 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do you close port 587: unknown service?

* Bennett Hui <bhui@mail.com> [20001018 11:34]:
=>Thanks for the replies on some of the open ports on my webserver, I've
=>closed off all unnecessary ports except for one that no one seems to know
=>what it's used for.  I'm not so concerned as to what service runs on it, but
=>more over how to close this port.  When I do a portscan on my box, I get the
=>following information:
=>
=>192.168.1.x  :21    ftp
=>192.168.1.x  :22    ssh                  SSH Remote Login Protocol
=>192.168.1.x  :23    telnet
=>192.168.1.x  :25    smtp                 mail
=>192.168.1.x  :53    domain               nameserver
=>192.168.1.x  :80    www-http             World Wide Web HTTP
=>192.168.1.x  :587   unknown service.
=>
=>It would be great if anyone knew what port 587 was used for (it just came
=>with my install of 4.1.1-RELEASE), but more importantly how can I close it
=>off.  I suppose the quick and easy way would be to block it off with ipfw,
=>but is there a line in a config file where I can disable this service?

I did not have time to read ALL but I believe the clue is right in front
of you in /etc/services ;)

HTH

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them up. -Dorothy
Day