Date:      24 Jun 2002 20:35:54 +0300
From:      Juha Ylitalo <juha.ylitalo@iki.fi>
To:        jogegabsd <jogegabsd@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning Expect

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 20:07, jogegabsd wrote:
> Hello all. I'm trying to learn expect right now, and I
> was wondering if any of you know or have a nice tutorial
> or link that I can use to learn expect.
> I already check out the "Exploring Expect" book,
> but I'm kind of worry the book is to old(besides I have no money :D )

Even though the book was written '94, all that it says about tcl and
expect remains to be true and it was quite helpful, when I had to learn
expect on my own. I guess biggest weakness in the book is that it
doesn't have anything about tcl's built-in packages (except for Tk, that
I don't need :-/). For example Tcl's http package is quite convenient if
you have to combine command line testing with web related checks and you
don't want to code all http handling by yourself. Then again that kind
of stuff should probably belong to book that is strictly about Tcl (and
I haven't yet found that would give that information to me).

If you feel that Exploring Expect is really something that you can't
afford, http://expect.nist.gov/ has section for "Articles, Papers and
Chapters of Expect". Newest additions on that list are from '99. In
other sections, they have links to FAQs, tutorials, etc. www.usenix.org
also has some conference papers, which cover expect.

--
Juha Ylitalo                 juha.ylitalo@iki.fi                <e-mail>
+358 40 562 6152 <mobile>    http://www.iki.fi/jylitalo         <www>