Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:27:07 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Andy@EffNet.Com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se, tony@ncsa.uiuc.edu, netdev@ncsa.uiuc.edu, charlie@infoworks.net, lebel@lebel.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 rejects FreeBSD

At 6:22 AM +0100 11/22/00, Andrej Brodnik (Andy) wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>any progress/solution regarding this problem? My T20 doesn't
>boot either if I label a partition as FreeBSD partition (type 165).
>When I change the type of partition to 131 it works again
>(unfortunatelly without FreeBSD booting).
>
>I would appreciate a lot your answers.

I am afraid that we (here at RPI) haven't really investigated
this all that much more.  For our purposes, we can dual-boot
the original Win98 install and any FreeBSD install, and for
most people that is "good enough".  We never have figured out
how to dual-boot WinNT and FreeBSD, or if there is any way to
have a T20 laptop which is only running FreeBSD.

The problem is that once people do get their laptops working
(with the Win98/FreeBSD dual-boot), then they suddenly lose
interest in experimenting with re-installations...   :-)  I
wouldn't mind experimenting, but I don't own one of the T20's
and I don't feel much like spending >$2500 to get one...

In our case, we used Partition Magic to shrink the original
partition (which was a Win98 install).  We usually shrink
the Win98 partition to be a little less than 8 gig.  We
then install freebsd in a new partition in the space which
has been freed up.

I realize that is not much help, but that is about all
we have done with it.
--

---