Date:      Thu, 12 May 2005 15:38:11 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange top(1) output

> Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:40:43 +0300
> From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> On 2005-05-12 09:33, Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How about making it a command line parameter? The field size, I mean.
> >
> > How about using the "-w" flag to increase the size?  Similar to the
> > way that ps uses it now (i.e. ps -axwww).
>
> Cool tip.  Thanks :)

Please, NO!

top(1) is a screen oriented command that will run (badly) in line mode.
While I have often questioned the advisability of '-w' in ps(1), it does
make some sense as ps(1) tends to produce line oriented output.

top(1) could check the width of the display and tailor the display to
that width. May screen based tools already do this and it provides a lot
of flexibility. It's best to check the width for width on every update
so that the screen (if its a soft terminal) may be increased and the
display re-written to take advantage of that, on the fly.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)