Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:24:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape (and others)

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Doug Young wrote:

% Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:15:49 +1000
% From: Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
% To: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
%
% From: Simon Mendoza <simon_v_mendoza@yahoo.com>
% <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
% Sent: Friday, August 20, 1999 6:23 AM
%
% Dunno how you can call lynx "user friendly" ...... maybe it is to an expert
% but sure isn't for newbies, which I understand is the user base of this
% particular list. FreeBSD docs generally are heaps more intelligible to
% newbies than any of that linux stuff, and a dedicated newbie mailing list is
% the best idea yet, but from my point of view at least, advice as to what
% application is user friendly or otherwise needs to be factual and relevant
% to someone at newbie level.
%
% Where does one find info on configuring Lynx ...... there isn't anything at
% the homepage, or anywhere else I can find for that matter. I posted that
% question on several local mailing lists in Australia and after I got through
% all the typical "its easy, just read the HOWTO" responses I have learned to
% expect from "experts" .... I eventually found that in fact nobody had
% managed to get lynx working at all, whether in *nix or windows.
%
% I'd like to use lynx .in both windows and *nix situations, but without any
% proper info on how to get it working its no use whatsoever to me. The
% problems I had .... and others too .... were "startfile not found" (even
% though its where it should be and uncommented), "temp" file can't be opened"
% (even though permissions are correct), and similar stuff to that.
%

Lynx is a time honored browser which has never failed me in a pinch!
I've built that app long ago from source and it's never let me down. I
can't see how an end user could possibly have such problems. I'm a busy
man who does not have time for dicking around with loading java applets,
frames, banners and time consuming images... henceforth the use of lynx!

Any and all documentation in regards to installing and configuring lynx
can be found right along side the source (see below).

ABOUT-NLS               cfg_defs.h              intl/
CHANGES                 cfg_defs.sh*            lynx*
COPYHEADER              cfg_edit.sh*            lynx.cfg
COPYING                 config.cache            lynx.cfg_bak
INSTALLATION            config.guess*           lynx.hlp
LYHelp.h                config.hin              lynx.man
LYHelp.hin              config.log              lynx_cfg.h
LYMessages_en.h         config.status*          lynx_help/
MAKEFILE.W32            config.sub*             makefile
PROBLEMS                configure*              makefile.in
README                  configure.in            mkdirs.sh*
VMSPrint.com            descrip.mms             po/
WWW/                    docs/                   samples/
aclocal.m4              fixed512.com            src/
build-slang.com         fixtext.sh*             test/
build.com               install.sh*             userdefs.h

Simple strait forward ascii files. How hard can that be?