Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:08:00 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd: -pptpalias option is no longer in 4.x?

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 04:45:44PM -0700, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> Hi -
> 	I seem to remember reading something that says that in 4.x the
> -pptpalias is no longer needed with 4.x, but I can't seem to find that
> message, nor can I find anything that explains what changed.
>
> My guess is that natd can now translate multiple MS VPN (pptp) connections
> simulatanously?
>
> Can anyone confirm this hunch?

natd(8) uses libalias(3) library for all NAT duties, and that library was
made to transparently support PPTP, thus -pptpalias has gone.

Unfortunately, it was later discovered that PPTP aliasing does not work when
more than one internal client connects to the same external server at the
same time, because PPTP requires a single TCP control connection to be
established between any two IP addresses.  Hopefully, this will be fixed in
the future.  This is documented in 5.0-CURRENT's libalias(3) manual page.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,