Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 12:46:18 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Raid

> Which is why RAID 1 is superior, IMHO. Drives are bloody cheap today.
> Your data probably not (else you wouldn't be using RAID in the first
> place) so make it use the best.

my understanding is that you can have a hot standby on RAID 5, so that
if a disk fails, it is replaced with the standby, leaving you protected
whileyou replace the offending drive.  But don't hold me to this; I
can't back it up (but we want to set up our new server like this).

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail