Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:38:41 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, David Chamberlain <david.chamberlain@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Apache and databases

In the last episode (Sep 02), The Hermit Hacker said:
> On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, David Chamberlain wrote:
> > OK, so back to the original question.  How do I do it?
> >
> > I saw a product called MySQL, which looks pretty good.  I can
> > probably figure out how to install that and make it work from the
> > instructions.
>
> 	I'm biased...MySQL has a commercial-use license, so for someone
> that is worried about buying more hardware, you'll probably want to
> avoid using MySQL.  Check out PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org),
> which falls under Berkeley license and is free for use, period.  No
> "unless you use it for this, or this or this"...

Just to clarify.  MySQL has a *commercial-distribution* license.  You
are only forced to buy licenses if you ship MySQL as part of a product.
If you use it in-house, there are no restrictions at all (although
buying email support is encouraged).  PostgreSQL supports a larger
subset of SQL (it has subselects and transactions), but MySQL is
significantly faster than Postgres, since it doesn't have to manage
transactions.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com