Date:      Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:32:37 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers), phoenix@calldei.com, netmonger@genesis.ispace.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp server side startup commands

> > > To solve the problem, though:
> > >
> > > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-agent-options-05.txt
> > >
> > > The PPP server should obtain IP addresses via DHCP.
> >
> > Sounds a bit messy - does ppp have to manage the lease information (I
> > haven't read the doc above yet) ?
> >
> > It's far easier & more manageable to ask ppp to assign a dynamic IP
> > or point it at a radius server.
>
> The IETF DHC working group would prefer that all software that
> obtains IP addresses from a pool use DHCP to do so.
>
> That includes RADIUS servers.

This is just nonsense.

Both DHCP and PPP IPCP are used to communicate addresses to end users; each
has a particular application where it's most suited.  RADIUS servers supply
service information to a NAS box.  In many cases, the RADIUS response from
the server might return a static address (and associated route), or perhaps
a token which causes an IP address to get allocated out of a pool.

DHCP does not have rich enough semantics to be used as a database query
mechanism for a RADIUS server to use.  DHCP is for use by the end-system
to discover configuration information and not as some sort of generalized
query mechanism.

louie