Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:23:09 +1100
From:      Tony Maher <tonymaher@optusnet.com.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   7.1 Release and usb keyboard/mouse problems

Hello,

I have been running FreeBSD 7 from around 2008-10-20 and experienced
the occasional problems with usb mouse and keyboard.  The mouse pointer
slowly drift to a corner of the screen and not respond, and the keyboard
would become unresponsive. Unplugging and plugging back in fixed the problem.
This would happen a few times per week.

However after I upgraded to 7.1-RELEASE-p2, I now get this problem
every few hours if idle (hard to know exactly when it occurs since i am not at
keyboard) and a few minutes if doing a background compilation.
The keyboard often shows one of the LEDs constantly flashing at high speed.
Unplugging and replugging often does not work and needs to be done several
times (and use a different usb port).

I saw some email reports and tried in /boot/device.hints
hint.atkbd.0.disable="1"
hint.atkbdc.0.disable="1"

No change.

Tried a different mouse and it would continue to work but my normal mouse
would disconnect.  Tried an identical keyboard and it exhibited the same
problem ruling out a bad keyboard.  I then tried another keyboard and have
not had any problem since.

The main thing I can see different is the working keyboard is a Logitech
and the two problematic keyboards are (very) cheap noname keyboards.
Both the mice are Logitech but the mouse that has problems is very old
(from around year 2000 - model M-BA47).  The working mouse is newer but
still fairly old (Model M-UV96).

The box is a amd64 with Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  E6750  @ 2.66GH
4GB RAM and motherboard is Intel DP35DP.

So my setup now appears to be fine.  If anyone is having similar problems,
I suggest trying  different (more modern) mice/keyboards.

cheers
--
Tony Maher                    email: tonymaher@optusnet.com.au