Date:      Tue, 6 May 2014 21:57:35 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-ports@jrv.org>
Cc:        Ashish Shukla <ashish@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: i386 emacs run-time dependency on gcc?

On 06 May 2014, at 20:41, James R. Van Artsdalen =
<james-freebsd-ports@jrv.org> wrote:
> I realize emacs needs to be built with gcc on i386

Not since head r263312, which I also merged to stable/10 and stable/9 in
r263765.  Just comment the USE_GCC line in editors/emacs/Makefile.

> but should there be
> a run-time dependency too?  The emacs package tarball requires gcc to
> install.

If you build with a gcc port, the program will require the gcc runtime
support (e.g. libgcc, libstdc++) of that particular version.  Usually it
is installed in /usr/local/lib/gccXY.

Currently there do not seem to be any separate 'gccXY-libs' ports.  I am
not sure if that will come to pass, as many people appear to loathe this
kind of separated packages... :)

-Dimitry