Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:01:24 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
Cc:        ajtiM <lumiwa@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spam?

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 353, Issue 11, Message: 4
On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:57:03 +0000 Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk> wrote:
 > On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 06:49 -0500, ajtiM wrote:
 > > In the last week I got four emails like this one today:
 > >
 > > From: <a href="mailto:bruce@cran.org.uk">bruce@cran.org.uk</a><br/>
 > > To: <a href="mailto:perryh@pluto.rain.com">perryh@pluto.rain.com</a><br/>
 > > CC: <a href="mailto:freebsd@edvax.de">freebsd@edvax.de</a>, <a
 > > href="mailto:lumiwa@gmail.com">lumiwa@gmail.com</a>, <a href="mailto:freebsd-
 > > questions@freebsd.org">freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

[I guess it's a gmail option whether to quote messages with addresses
shown as HTML urls?  Other people seem to be able to avoid doing that]

 > That's not from me - it's from a company called ParkLogic who are
 > forging emails.  See
 > http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/FreeBSD/questions/2010-12/msg00591.html for more details.

G'day Bruce,

unfortunately trying to follow that through by 'next in thread' on
derkeiler.com lands at a message that they've censored, declaring:

 "Error 410: The page you requested has been removed
 The page you requested has been removed due to inappropriate content."

>From there, they leave you no way to finish the thread, in particular to
my detailed wannabe FAQ - in reply to you, as it happened - on how folks
might solve this issue at:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-December/225226.html

That report may or may not help gmail users, as Chris Brennan reported
gmail provides no way to filter on message headers such as Message-ID,
still at least it shows how to determine that these messages are indeed
forgeries.  Maybe by now parklogic realise that targetting gmail users
will cause the most mischief?  Evil doesn't necessarily mean stupid ..

As for derkeiler.com's apparently arbitrary censorship, you can see the
message they removed, two messages before mine by thread, here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-December/225236.html

Apart from charging Svein Skogen with 'signature too long' :) I can't
imagine why they or their robot might have taken offense.  At least at
lists.freebsd.org only something pretty extreme may provoke our esteemed
postmaster into removing a message, and there's less obfuscation there
of email addresses (like parklogic.com) .. for better or worse.

cheers, Ian