Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:49:53 -0800
From:      Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: good instability on FreeBSD/amd64 6.0

On Monday 28 November 2005 15:58,  the author Wojciech Puchar contributed to
the dialogue on-
 good instability on FreeBSD/amd64 6.0:

>thank all for the answers that made me sure i was reading nonsense.
>Now i can install FreeBSD/amd64 6.0 being sure i will get stable (and
>fast) system. As stable as my FreeBSD/i386 6.0 system, on which FreeBSD is
>the only OS in which 2 CPUs works fine.
>
>not new hardware, dual PII/400 "Compaq Professional Workstation", on which
>NetBSD quickly crashes with SMP enabled, Linux works not much faster than
>on one CPU with fast serial working (and i don't like to use linux),
>FreeBSD runs fast well using both CPUs
>It's easily using up both CPUs for apps under both low and high
>disk/network load, so giant locks isn't that a problem now in 6.0.

You have raised a topic in which i ave some interest.

Right now I need to add another server to my network primarily for compiling
and development work but also to run a database of reasonable size (3-4
terabytes of data) but comparatively low access volume and some work with
voice sound files and video. The compiling runs will be mainly overnight but
I still need it to be fast.

I favor a dual processor but am uncertain which processor and or motherboard
combination to go for. I will sacrifice speed for reliability. I am in favor
of putting in at least 8G of ram so that cuts down the m/b choices and would
like to have a reasonable number slots on the mb (I need to support two
monitors).

Does anyone have an suggestions/ ideas to share?

Thanks

david
 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.