Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 20:49:31 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        jfreeze@qx.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I mount a remote file system thru PPP?

jfreeze@qx.net writes:
> Please pardon me if this is a silly or stupid question.

The only really stupid questions are the ones people don't ask.

> My question is how do I mount a remote file system
> when I am connecting through a modem dialup.

Same way you would between two systems connected via ethernet. The data
goes by IP address not by interface. NFS over a modem isn't a lot of fun
once one quits laughing over the novelty after doing it the first time.

The problem is your remote server (the ISP's web server) has to export
the filesystem before you can mount it. Such a configuration is simply
asking for script kiddies to wreck havoc with their server(s).

You don't really want to mount their filesystem, do you? You plan on
keeping a local copy as a backup? The only quasi-interesting thing
mounting their filesystem would do would be to let you fire up vi on
the remote copy of your web pages without making a local copy. If you
use Netscape Communicator as the html editor then you can open the page
via http into the editor, edit, and write it back via http.

Its likely your ISP has ssh on their FreeBSD servers. Ssh provides
replacements for the "R" family of standard Unix utilities, in this
case rcp (remote copy) comes to mind. Install
/usr/ports/security/openssh and read the manpages. I'm a little rusty
on the ssh version of rcp, or whether its a wrapper for rcp thru ssh,
or what. Use of rcp used to require you rig your account on the far end
to accept R-commands without password challenge, an obvious security
problem, that I'm hoping ssh addresses. Then all you have to do is:

% rcp localfile.html server:/public_html/remotefile.html

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net