Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:19:43 +0200
From:      Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation on HP Proliant via iLO -> "Error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dist"

Hi,

I'm having a hard time trying to install FreeBSD 8.0 on an HP Proliant
server. To be specific I try to instal the amd64 variant of FreeBSD
8.0 on a ProLiant DL385 G1.

Since the server is remote installation is to be done via the virtual
CD/DVD of the iLO management.

The install process runs smooth up to the point where the install
process finishes formatting then I get the following error:

"Error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dist: Input/output error (5)"

and installation can't proceed.

Interestingly that the installation runs from CD up to this point
without any problem whatsoever. This can't be a problem with the
"CD/DVD" since I've mounted the ISO-image via a virtual drive.

I've already tried downloading the ISO again - same result.

Likewise I tried with the CD-image instead of the DVD-image - same result :-(

So here are my questions:

o) has anybody seen symptoms like this on a HP proliant server when
installation is done via the "virtual CD/DVD"-drive?

o) Any cure against this?

Thanks much in advance for any clue,
-ewald