Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 1996 09:50:31 +0000
From:      robmel@innotts.co.uk (Robin Melville)
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Subject:   Re: Need rpc.rlockd -- any chance of finding it?

Michael,

Thanks for your blindingly rapid response to my query!

At 11:38 am 8/3/96, Michael Smith wrote:
>Robin Melville stands accused of saying:
>There are two answers here :
>
>The first is :  Abandon NFS for your PCs (and if possible, Macs as well).
>I would _strongly_ advise experimenting with the 'samba' package that's
>in the ports collection.  This will provide markedly superior performance,
>and as a side effect, get around the original problem.

Interesting idea, but I'm reluctant to move to multi-protocol networking. We need TCP/IP for SQL client/server work. NFS seems an elegant solution to file sharing too, and works cheerfully and quickly in its current implementation (on the SCO box).

>For the Macs the solution is a little murkier.  There may be SMB clients
>for the Mac as well, alternatively there's at least one, if not two
>Appletalk servers that work under FreeBSD.

Hmmm, see what I mean...

>The second answer is : rpc.lockd is under development for FreeBSD.  Sun
>don't document the protocol, and it would take serious money to get
>such information.  There's an implementation of it in FreeBSD-current,
>but I'm not sure whether it would build and run under -stable or 2.1R.

I had a good hunt around on the FreeBSD ftp area before I posted originally. I've just had another ... can't see hair nor hide of this port. Is it included in the distribution, rather than as a package or port?

>]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au    [[

Many thanks for your help.

I've taken the liberty of cross-posting this to another respondent with a similar problem.

Regards,

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction Information Services                           Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team
Tel:  +44 (0)115 952 9478       Fax:  +44 (0)115 952 9421
work: robmel@nadt.org.uk        home: robmel@innotts.co.uk
Pages: http://www.innotts.co.uk/~robmel    (home page)
       http://www.innotts.co.uk/suba       (UK substance misuse pages)