Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:33:59 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox + cups problem

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> With my old laptop, a FreeBSD/i386 box running current, I was able to
> print to my cups printers w/o a problem with firefox.
>
> That laptop died a horrible death.  So I bought a amd64 laptop and am
> running FreeBSD/amd64.  Every time I print now in firefox, firefox
> dies a horrible death.  I just did a portupgrade -a, and that hasn't
> solved the issue, so I thought I'd ask here if people have seen this.

Happened to me yesterday, although cups managed to grab the print job before
firefox died, which saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

In the past this has been solved by rebuilding things in the following order:

1. gnutls
2. cups
3. firefox

so if you have to rebuild one of those, you have to rebuild everything after
it. However, there is no guarantee that it will work even after you do that.

This is an ugly problem that has been around for a while, and so far no one
has stepped up to make a definitive fix.

Doug