Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:06:58 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        KC Somaratne <kc.somaratne@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Recommended RAID controller

KC Somaratne wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:14:06 -0700, Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>With respect to the support for the IBM ServeRAID cards, has there been a change
>>>of status since then. I am looking at getting two IBM servers with ServeRAID-6M
>>>cards to run 5.3-R.
>>>
>>>Also, are there any management apps available in 5.3 for the ServeRAID-6M card?
>>>
>>>thanks n rgds,
>>>-kc.
>>
>>There really is no way to monitor or manage a serveraid card under
>>FreeBSD.  IBM/Adaptec seems to have no interest in releasing specs or
>>porting their apps, and there is no way to make the linux apps work.
>>
>>Scott
>>

> Hi,
>
> Do I have any other choices of well supported SCSI RAID cards that I
> can use on a IBM eServer xSeries255 that you can recommend to use with
> FreeBSD 5.3-R?
>
> Thnks in advance,
> -kc.
> PS: A card that has good management apps support. What is the
> management app support for the Adaptec SCSI RAID 2230SLP like?

The 2230SLP will use the 'aaccli' that can be found in the FreeBSD ports
tree, and can run the linux aaccli that can be found on the CD that
comes with the card.  I haven't done a lot of testing with this card to
say whether or not it's reliable, but it's definitely a candidate.

I really don't know what I'd recommend.  The aac cards seem to be 'good
enough' for most people.  The amr driver is suffering from instability
under heavy load, unfortunately.  The ciss hardware and drivers are
pretty good, but are somewhat hard to get ahold of.

Scott