Date:      Wed, 7 May 2008 14:03:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Randy Schultz <schulra@earlham.edu>
To:        Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/123495: 7.0 AMD64 doesn't install on a Dell SC1435

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Dieter spaketh thusly:

-}In message <200805071621.m47GLbCD018315@www.freebsd.org>, Randy Schultz writes:
-}> FBSD 6.x AMD64 works great on this system, as does centos linux.  When I try to install 7.0 (AMD64 of course), on boot (of
-}>f the cdrom) I notice:
-}>    ad4: DMA limited to UDMA33, device found non-ATA66 cable
-}>
-}> Not sure if that is an important clue but it seems to be.  I know my cables are SATA-II, FWIW.
-}
-}This means the kernel thinks that ad4 is PATA connected with a 40 wire cable
-}rather than an 80 wire cable.  (connector is 40 pins either way, extra wires
-}are grounds)
-}
-}If ad4 is a PATA hard drive, it just means that the speed is limited to 33 MBps
-}due to the old style cable.
-}
-}If there are no PATA hard drives connected, then this is an important clue.

There no PATA drives, both are SATA-II's with SATA-II cables.

FWIW, I forgot to mention that this problem happens both with a fresh
install/drive format and with an upgrade from 6.3 -> 7.0.

On the upgrade, I was following the instructions at
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-freebsd-server-upgrades/

After the reboot is when the errors start happening.

--
 Randy    (schulra@earlham.edu)      765.983.1283         <*>

Love with your heart, think with your head;  not the other way around.