Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 19:49:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jerry Kelley <jerryk@iquest.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Changing network identities on the fly

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Jerry Kelley wrote:

> I currently have two PPP connections that I make: one to work; and
> one to my ISP. Now, my system spends more time connected to my ISP
> than to work so I initially configured it to use the hostname used
> in my ISP link. I'm also running routed and have an entry in
> /etc/resolv.conf to point to my ISP's name server.
>
> The obvious question that I'm coming to is this: is there a "good"
> or clean way to go back and forth between network identities? I'm
> using user-mode ppp and have entries for work and my ISP.

Not really.  BSD is pretty single-minded when it comes to network
configuration.  Not to say that it won't work (PPP could care less what
the local IP/name is since it configures it's own interface, and the DNS
will still work as long as it isn't firewalled), but it's not as easy as
say MS with their PPP `extensions'.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo