Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:36:40 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday, 10 December 1998 at  7:47:48 +1100, John Birrell wrote:
> > Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >> Will someone with more courage and experiance than I please speak up about
> >> this, perhaps contact sun?
> >
> > Please _don't_ ask Sun for anything until you have a working port on
> > limited hardware. I doubt that anyone following this list would be
> > prepared to spend $$$ based on what has been said so far. Those people
> > who have access to Sun machines should be able to do a port with neither
> > financial nor moral support from Sun. If you want this sort of support,
> > you have to earn it.
>
> I suppose I should point you people to
> http://www.lemis.com/x/sunworld-bsd.html, which is a draft of an
> article I've submitted to SunWorld.  This is for review only in the
> present form; please don't distribute it, but I'd be interested in
> comments.
>
> One thing in particular occurred to me in this context: why does Sun
> want Linux or *BSD?   On the whole, Solaris <whatever number it is
> this week> is a pretty good operating system, and neither Linux nor
> *BSD can equal it.  What advantage would I have running FreeBSD on my
> UltraSparc?  Or should we be doing what NetBSD and OpenBSD are already
> doing and running it on older (32 bit) Sparc hardware?

Just a thought - Sun sells not only Ultra based systems but also Ultra
processsors and motherboards. The emphasis of these is both OEMs and
embedded market.

Would they want that there is an OS with teh following parameters:

	a) Insert all the good sides of FreeBSD here, inc. VM, TCP/IP
	   stack, etc.
	b) which is very low cost
	c) comes with source
	d) is under the BSD licence

If the answer is yes, then we know why Sun might want FreeBSD on
UltraSparc.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.