Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:21:35 -0500
From:      Mak Kolybabi <mak@kolybabi.com>
To:        John Francis Lee <jfl@robinlea.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: about vbox and freebsd

On 2009-08-21 06:12, John Francis Lee wrote:
> My problem is that I'm told right at the onset of the install that
>
>   CPU doesn't support long mode

Your CPU is 64-bit from what I can see. From a bit of Googling, others have
encountered this problem, and it seems to have to do with VM-X. I have no idea
what that is, but a thread in which someone has a very similar issue is here:

  http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19420

One notable quote is:

  ...[the CPU] does not have Intel VT (hardware virtualization), so you will
  not be able to run 64 bit guests in Virtualbox even though you run a 64 bit
  host.

HTH

--
Matthew Anthony Kolybabi (Mak)
<mak@kolybabi.com>

() ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Against HTML e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org  | Against proprietary extensions